What is Deep Learning Anyway?
The terms ‘deep learning’ and ‘deeper learning’ are de rigueur these days.
Watch the video for some clarification! 🙂
- Deep learning is a term that has morphed over the years.
- One of the main aspects of deeper learning is that of transfer…perhaps of a ‘mental model’ to another scenario (to another domain for example)
- The idea of near transfer and far transfer have been around for a long time
- Design environments to cultivate deeper learning.
- I set up an online, collaborative, journal writing environment for students—actually back in the late 80s 😉
- Each, and every, student has a responsibility to ‘kick it up a notch’ for themselves and for others
- Metaphoria is a game I play with kids that helps them to create mental models with which to think
- Make transfer explicit for your students
- “Specialization is for insects.” We have segregated subjects into ‘subject areas’. This is a human invention. The problems of the world today require an integrated, holistic solution.
The video is from the learning exchange—a site of the Student Achievement Division of the Ontario Ministry of Education. It was recorded at The Quest 2016 conference – Deep Learning in a Digital World.